Service alert main region content
Beware of recruitment scams known to be targeting jobseekers
There has recently been an increase in reported scams and instances of fraud across the recruitment sector within the Asia Pacific region.
Jobs and employment scams trick you into handing over your money by offering you a ‘guaranteed’ way to make fast money or a high-paying job for little effort.
Warning signs: how to spot a job or employment scam
- You come across an advertisement, receive an email, SMS or WhatsApp message, letter or phone call offering you a guaranteed income or job.
- A scammer purporting to be a Hays consultant contacts you on a social media or job board platform:
- Warning signs include a suspicious profile image, lack of genuine profile information, activity or contact details.
- If in doubt ask the individual to send you an email from their Hays email address. An email from a Hays consultant will be sent from the official Hays domain e.g. email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- The message may claim lots of money can be made with little effort using your personal computer, or guarantee large returns.
- The message asks you to provide personal details or a fee for more information about the job or start-up materials.
- You are asked to transfer money on behalf of someone else, which may be money laundering.
Please note Hays will never ask a candidate for any form of direct payment and all email correspondence from a Hays consultant will be sent from the official Hays domain e.g. email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you suspect you have been targeted by a recruitment scam, please contact ACSC (Australian Cyber Security Centre) or ACCC (Australian Competition & Consumer Commission) in Australia. In New Zealand contact CERT NZ (Computer Emergency Response Team) to report the issue.
If you are in Australia and have exchanged any personal information with a suspected scammer, please report this immediately to the ACSC.
For tips about online safety and security and an Australian Government directory for where to get help see the Be safe Be alert online quick reference guide.
Search for jobs
Find my nearest office
Find my nearest office
Hays has offices across North & South Island. Contact us to discuss your recruitment needs.