Underwriter Jobs | Main Region
Underwriter Jobs in New Zealand
What does an Underwriter do?
What skills does an Underwriter need to have?
Underwriter job responsibilities
- Analyse, evaluate, and determine the risk on insurance applications
- Calculate premiums based on findings and background information as per lending criteria
- Provide a risk assessment report outlining the premium amount and any policy alterations required to mitigate risk
- Input background information into computer software and analyse statistical data
- Decide on policy renewals and any prospective changes to terms and conditions
- Compare different policies with similar risk factors involved
- Liaise with other specialists to make an accurate and informed decision on an application
- Negotiate terms and conditions with brokers and clients
Skills and experience employers are looking for
- Analytical and critical thinker
- Great attention to detail
- Strong communication and negotiation skills
- Advanced mathematical and numeracy skills
- Excellent understanding of insurance products and policies
What type of employers hire an Underwriter?
- Relevant ANZIIF qualifications or licenced underwriting experience
- Tier 1 Qualified
- A minimum of three year’s experience in Underwriting is a common requirement
- Software knowledge such as Sunrise System
How much does an Underwriter earn?
How to become an Underwriter in New Zealand
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance or business-related area.
- Relevant ANZIIF qualifications or licenced underwriting experience.
- Tier 1 Qualified.
- Industry experience is almost mandatory with many employers requesting at least three year’s Underwriting experience.
- Work on your core skills, especially those relating to communication and negotiation. These are considered essential when dealing with relevant parties.
- Knowledge of Sunrise System would be advantageous.
- Extensive knowledge of insurance products along with policies and their components.
- Proficiency in basic computer software such as Microsoft Office.
3 stack promo block NZ Jobs | TS
Search for jobs
Find permanent job opportunites with Hays.
Find tempoary or contract jobs with Hays.
We can provide you with fast, easy access to job opportunities.
View templates and tips to help you start your job search journey.
Access expert advice for all stages of the job hunting process.
Master the art of job interviews with helpful articles and tips.
Tools & Resources
Simplify your job search by setting up a Hays job alert.
Find out if you're earning the salary you deserve.
Sign up to get expert career advice delivered to your inbox.